Saturday, July 2, 2011

Too Old To Rock'n'Roll, Too Young To Die

I have Rolling Stones and Alice In Chains competing for ear space right now.  What an odd combination, but then that pretty much describes my musical choices.

I grew up thinking that rock from the sixties and seventies was current music.  CCR, BTO, Blue Oyster Cult, Stones, Doors, Eagles, Jethro Tull, Led Zeppelin, Moody Blues, Steely Dan, Black Sabbath, Iron Butterfly, all the classic rock bands were recent things.

I don't know when, exactly, that I realized that the stuff I listened to wasn't.  I never really stopped.  Hell, I still sing with Ian Anderson and Jim Morrison.  A  cookie for you if you know the first singer.  If not, get off my little bit of cyberspace.

I've branched out some since then, but my introduction to the world of music still influences my choices today.  Flogging Molly, Dropkick Murphys, DMB, Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Dresden Dolls, Johnny Cash, much of what I listen to seems to be rock driven.

I'm no music critic.  I like what I like.  Patsy Cline for one.  That throw people.  She had a voice, man, that was rich and soulful.  Etta James.  Then I swing over to The Ramones.  Then pop over to Khachaturian and some classical--usually Western European.  Throw in some Gershwin, too.  System and Rage gets tossed about with Loreena McKennitt and Tori Amos.

I'm not picky.  I like what I like.

Now...tell me where the title came from.  I dare ya.

No comments:

Post a Comment